Butch, Matt, and Members,

Before this thread gets out of hand, a couple of notes...

1) WISPA does not have an offical policy yet on Press Releases sent to the
List, stating its OK or Not Ok.  Nor does WISPA have an appropraite
mechanism or program to enable a WISP to pay for Sending PRs. Therefore, it
can not be held against RapidLink for doing it.

2) Honestly, I have to admit, I can see how sending the PRs to the list
could be annoying to some people.  Expecially to a consultant that is
required to pay for similar exposure.  Think about it... What if every
member posted all their PRs to this LIST? It could be worse than Spam.  If
the PR was a rare special case, where it was likely something unique or of
extra significant interest to members, I'd say everyone would want to read
about it, and welcome it.  But some of the PR posts may have been just
self-promoting, the primary purpose of PRs.

3) However, I also must say, that I think Matt has tought us all something,
by making his PR posts. Everything we do should be considered newsworthy. If
we don't think we are importnat to talk about, and we don't think we are
newsworthy ourselves, why will our customers and polititions? Everything we
do, we should try and get public recognition for.  I should have been doing
PRs everytime I spoke at a show in the past.  Why not also get the credit
from the public for the things we do within our industry and of our peers?
Members benefit from seeing what others are doing right to promote
themselves.

4) And we need to stop letting Intel and Clearwire take all the credit for
Wireless Broadband.  Think about it... IF you ask the public about Wimax,
what names will come up?   I applaud RapidLink for taking the initiative to
promote their involvement in the industry. More of us need to do the same,
to change public perception..

5) The Promotions committee was originally formed, because we were looking
for ways to promote our memebers. Allowing Press Relases may be one way of
helping?

I will close by saying, I think Butch acted appropriately by bringing up
this issue, and challenging whether it is appropriate. My opinion is that I
think it is appropriate. But I think the WISPA board does need to make an
official ruling on Press Releases, so members and vendors know the limits of
what is acceptable, so they can maximize on the benefits they have.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband