Solved: Help replacement MT ... no ping

Many thanks to all who tossed out suggestions!

The situation:
Had a 5.8G backhaul link with MT-CM9 on one end, and old pebble linux
system on the other.  Rebooted the pebble system yesterday afternoon
and its AP radio was no longer detected, thus creating the urgency for
my 'ready to go' replacement MT based system.

I had the replacement system Associate and saw excellent signal
strength.  No ping from MT to MT system?  When I disabled the
encryption on the new system, there was no association, so I assumed
the encryption was good.  Another odd thing.  The new system would
only associate at 1M, even when I moved things closer together.  1M
and -60db signal strength is very odd.

Solution:
Apparently when I entered the static Key in the security profiles, I
missed the box on the left, for the type of key.  It was of type
"none"  instead of 40-bit wep, 104-bit wep, or AES.  I'm not sure if
the 'none' key is defined in 802.11a or not, but it was strange
'almost' working behavior, and my internal pressure caused this
solution to take 8 hours time, rebuilding systems, swapping radios
etc.

Again, Thanks everyone!

Marshall