You can build a good squid box with lots of memory and fast hard drives
and get good results.   The squid setup is also nearly infinitely
tunable, as opposed to the ones in Mikrotik and StarOS which have a
pretty vanilla configuration.   Being able to tune the cache parameters
helps a lot, along with putting the cache directories on a separate hard
drive and/or multiple ethernet cards to maximize the traffic flow.   I
have also used caching servers during heavy bandwidth demand or outage
times to offload some of my browsing traffic to cable or dsl connections
at the edges of the network.

 From a deployment perspective, I have gotten the best results by
letting any questionable customers bypass the caches.   95% of my
customers are on 192.168.0.0/16 addresses, so we had a rule that
directed the /16 network to the cache.   Customers with public IP
addresses do not go through the cache.   That way, someone with a
problem going through the cache would have to upgrade to a static IP so
that they could bypass it.    Relatively simple, and effective.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com