I'd go

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 12:48 PM, Brian Rohrbacher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I would probably go.
>
> Brian
>
> Charles Wu wrote:
> > As some of you may (or may not) know, we used to organize large trade
> shows several years ago...at its height, WiNOG had over 500+ attendees with
> 50+ exhibiting sponsors (I still have pictures of Rick Harnish and Mac
> Dearman @ the inaugural WISPA meeting in Chicago almost 3+ years ago =)
> > In 2006, I decided to put an end to the large shows and change the format
> into a 1-day traveling road-show due to the fact for the there hasn't really
> been anything all that exciting out there in the market that would drive
> traffic to get me to put forth the effort to organize a large show...That
> said, I believe that with recent market developments, including the release
> of the 3.65 GHz band, the commercialization of WiMAX equipment in the US and
> the maturation of the market, I have enough stuff to work with to build an
> interesting content program.
> > That said, before I go out and spend a lot of time and effort throwing
> something together, I'd like to get a feel for what people feel:
> > Here are my thoughts
> >
> > 1.       WiMAX World 2008 is scheduled for Sept 30-Oct 2, 2008
> (Tuesday-Thursday) in Chicago...with 100+ exhibitors, it makes for a pretty
> large gathering of the wireless operator industry
> >
> > 2.       While WiMAX World has a lot of people coming together, it's
> focusing more on large mobile broadband operators (ClearWire / Sprint) and
> the 802.16e WiMAX standard instead of small-to-medium operators who would
> utilize 802.16d (fixed) WiMAX
> >
> > 3.       A three-day conference pass for WiMAX World costs almost
> $2,000...additionally, in looking at the programming, it seems more suited
> for Wall-Street / Gartner-type Analysts than for operators deploying systems
> in the field
> >
> > 4.       WiMAX World (Yankee Group) is aware that they're content program
> doesn't really cater to the small-to-medium fixed-wireless operators, so
> they've come to me with a proposal to put together a more focused / targeted
> program on the side (that's also cheaper)
> > Here's my idea
> >
> > 1.       Do WiNOG as a smaller sub-get-together (100 or so people)
> focused on the specific issues of fixed-operators on September 29-30
> (Monday-Tuesday) right before WiMAX World
> >
> > 2.       Make WiNOG affordable to the network operators (have 2 tiers of
> admissions - 1 tier for service providers at say $95 to pay for food and
> another tier for vendors / consultants / random people at $500+)
> >
> > 3.       Give attendees of WiNOG (through some cross-promotional
> agreement) the ability to go to the WiMAX World Exhibit hall for free on Oct
> 1-2 (Wednesday / Thursday), so they would get the focused content and
> operator peer-to-peer discussion along with the chance to experience a
> massive exhibit hall
> > Thoughts? Comments?
> > -Charles
> [...]

John M. McDowell
Boonlink Communications
307 Grand Ave NW
Fort Payne, AL 35967
256.844.9932
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.boonlink.com

you may not use, copy, re-transmit, or disclose to anyone the message or any
information contained in the message. If you have received the message in
error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED], and
delete the message. E-mail communication is highly susceptible to spoofing,
spamming, and other tampering, some of which may be harmful to your
computer. If you are concerned about the authenticity of the message or the
source, please contact the sender directly.