When it comes to comparing network/embedded CPUs, there is more than
just MHz that needs to be considered.  Some CPUs have multiple cores,
hardware accelerators, etc.  For example, we use a Gemini SL3512 CPU in
some of our products.  Here are some of the accelerators that it has:

-Layer2/3/4 hardware switching, routing and NAT with 4 transmit queues
per port for QoS support

-Layer2-7 packet classification into 16 receive queues

-Transmit acceleration by TCP segmentation, IP fragmentation and
TCP/IP/UDP checksum calculation

-Receive acceleration by TCP connection table lookup, assembly of
multiple packets belonging to the same TCP connection and TCP/IP/UDP
checksum verification

-Hardware Security Acceleration Engine performs DES, 3DES, AES, CCMP and
RC4 encryption/decryption with CBC or ECB mode operation; authentication
with SHA1, MD5, HMAC-SHA1 and HMAC-MD5 hashing algorithm

All of these functions are then offloaded from the main CPU which can
perform other functions.  Just the first one (hardware NAT accelerator)
can increase NAT throughput by an order of magnitude.

-Hal
Ligowave