From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2008 03:48 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Thoughts on WiNOG in Chicago (Big Show this Fall)

I would go John Buwa Michiana Wireless ----- Original Message ----- From:
"Charles Wu" To: "Motorola Canopy User Group" ; "WISPA General List" Cc: "Jeff
Ehman" Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:20 AM Subject: [WISPA] Thoughts on WiNOG
in Chicago (Big Show this Fall) > As some of you may (or may not) know, we used
to organize large trade > shows several years ago...at its height, WiNOG had
over 500+ attendees > with 50+ exhibiting sponsors (I still have pictures of
Rick Harnish and > Mac Dearman @ the inaugural WISPA meeting in Chicago almost
3+ years ago > =) > In 2006, I decided to put an end to the large shows and
change the format > into a 1-day traveling road-show due to the fact for the
there hasn't > really been anything all that exciting out there in the market
that would > drive traffic to get me to put forth the effort to organize a
large > show...That said, I believe that with recent market developments, >
including the release of the 3.65 GHz band, the commercializati
 on of WiMAX > equipment in the US and the maturation of the market, I have
enough stuff > to work with to build an interesting content program. > That
said, before I go out and spend a lot of time and effort throwing > something
together, I'd like to get a feel for what people feel: > Here are my thoughts >
> 1. WiMAX World 2008 is scheduled for Sept 30-Oct 2, 2008 > (Tuesday-Thursday)
in Chicago...with 100+ exhibitors, it makes for a > pretty large gathering of
the wireless operator industry > > 2. While WiMAX World has a lot of people
coming together, it's > focusing more on large mobile broadband operators
(ClearWire / Sprint) and > the 802.16e WiMAX standard instead of
small-to-medium operators who would > utilize 802.16d (fixed) WiMAX > > 3. A
three-day conference pass for WiMAX World costs almost > $2,000...additionally,
in looking at the programming, it seems more suited > for Wall-Street /
Gartner-type Analysts than for operators deploying > systems in the field > >
 4. WiMAX World (Yankee Group) is aware that they're content program > doesn't
really cater to the small-to-medium fixed-wireless operators, so > they've come
to me with a proposal to put together a more focused / > targeted program on
the side (that's also cheaper) > Here's my idea > > 1. Do WiNOG as a smaller
sub-get-together (100 or so people) focused > on the specific issues of
fixed-operators on September 29-30 > (Monday-Tuesday) right before WiMAX World
> > 2. Make WiNOG affordable to the network operators (have 2 tiers of >
admissions - 1 tier for service providers at say $95 to pay for food and >
another tier for vendors / consultants / random people at $500+) > > 3. Give
attendees of WiNOG (through some cross-promotional > agreement) the ability to
go to the WiMAX World Exhibit hall for free on > Oct 1-2 (Wednesday /
Thursday), so they would get the focused content and > operator peer-to-peer
discussion along with the chance to experience a > massive exhibit hall > T
WiNOG Wireless Roadshows > Coming to a City Near You > http://www.winog.com > >