On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Tim Barker wrote:

>I've not run a WISP myself but I bet it's not cost effective to do
>this using Mikrotik or Canopy. Using a plug-and-play Atheros based
>device with a web based B/OSS brings the cost right down.

What?  You are OBVIOUSLY not understanding how to operate a
professional system if you thing Mikrotik or Canopy isn't cost
effective.  You system may bring down cost, but there are MANY
things that an end user trades in to use such a system.

* You give up flexibility to use your approach.  While it is "easy
to deploy", generally, you don't have anywhere NEAR the options for
HOW you deploy as you do with ANY other approach.

* You give up reliability.  Because engineering choices are limited,
you are stuck with whatever the B/OSS provides, which is usually
designed for children and NOT network administrators.

* You are locked into a proprietary platform.  Once someone begins
building a fixed wireless network with your system, they are locked
into it because their billing system requires YOUR hardware.  While
this is true to a degree with devices like Canopy and others, the
difference is that YOUR platform is a billing system, too.  Nobody
wants to change their billing platform just so that they can use a
different AP.

I could go on but it's not really appropriate here.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * WISPA Board Member               *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * Wired or Wireless Networks       *