One thing that I found helpful when we had to do this for the county years back
was actually to bring in some sample equipments that we talked about
installing. Also bringing picture of typical cell company tower installs.
Showing them that we are looking for minimal size and will cause far less
stress on the tower then what the cell company would. Also outlay our economics
showing to them that we economically couldn't afford to pay these fees based on
the coverage area that the technology can provide as well the economics in the
area how many customer we would expect to be able to get from said tower site
and compare this with how the cell phone companies require the coverage they do
for their mobile users and possible even do a study on larger roads close by
the tower to get amount of traffic going by there to get an estimate how many
cell subscribers that do hit that tower in their wish to have their mobile
phone and data service.

One of tower we got co located I know Sprint wanted to go up but their
engineering study I found out (from the guy that maintained the tower) required
them to reinforce the tower because it wasn't deemed to be strong enough for
what they wanted to do. Of course with this final info and showing what we
wanted to install carried in a duffle bag made them change their tune on the
amount they wanted. Plus of course. Some research finding that t most tower
companies in the area charged on average no more then $1/ft/antenna. So 2
possible 3 antennas at 180ft and 2 antennas at 240ft shouldn't cost us in this
case almost $1k per tower as they wanted to charge. We ended up getting on for
$600 for both towers.

/Eje
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile