From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org on behalf of Jeff Booher
Sent: Wed 4/22/2009 8:33 PM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650Mhz and Wimax Vendors

All,

 I work for a vendor ( Aperto )  so take this as you will.  Like most
vendors out there there are differences for everything. Veccima is a pico
solution, which means that they are using a wavesat chipset on the base and
CPE, so the major difference between veccima and alvarion and Aperto would
be PPS, QOS, features, throughput, and scalablity.

Aperto and Redline are pretty close in PPS, and alvarion and veccima are
less, with Airspan and tranzeo having the lowest pps. From a cost
perspective it looks like this:

Pricing

Redline : 1 ( 3 sector base 30k street, cpe 400 )
Alvarion: 2 (3 sector base 24k street, cpe 350-400 )
Airspan 3 ( 3 sector base 22k street, cpe 400-500 )
Aperto: 4 ( 3 sector base 20k street, cpe 280-400 )
Veccima: 5 (3 sector  base 17k street, cpe 250-350)
Tranzeo 6: ( 3 sector base 6k street, cpe 250-350 )

PPS / # of clients supported realistically
1. Aperto ( 30k pps / sector )
2. Redline claims to be in the same range, but I havent verifed this
3. Alvarion ( 4000 pps )
4. Veccima ( same range as alvarion )
5. airspan ( low )
6. Tranzeo ( only supports 30 clients )

Throughput: Almost everyone supports around 20mb / sec on a 7mhz channel,
except alvarion which only supports 12mb on a 5mhz channel.

The biggest factors to consider is PPS if you are doing voice or want to
support a high # of subs per tower site, as you are limited to 3 channels in
3.65ghz. Price is a consideration, but the biggest issue with Tranzeo is
they have no sync port on the base station so you could have interference
issues when you try to deploy 3 on a tower ( you need 14mhz seperation if
you don't have sync with wimax )

So in conclusion- want a cheap solution to support 30 subs of a single
sector? Tranzeo is a good bet. Want something more carrier class? Redline or
Aperto are a good fit.

The final consideration is QOS. We recently were selected by a customer
because of this and when they compared EVERYONE here we had by far the most
Stable quality of service, and by far the most networking features. Aperto
also holds several wimax patents in regards to QOS.

Finally we also have multiple frequenices, like 5.8, 5.4, 4.9, 2.5 solutions
so you wont be tied to one band. I think only Airspan supports 5ghz in
Wimax, except for us.

Jeff Booher

Director of Sales, North America
www.apertonet.com
jboo...@apertonet.com
jefftho...@fastmail.fm
24/7: 206-455-4950

This email may contain material that is confidential, privileged and/or work
product for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, reliance or
distribution by others without express permission is strictly prohibited. If
you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all
copies.