From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On Behalf
Of Matt Liotta
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 2:54 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] 3650Mhz and Wimax Vendors

On Apr 22, 2009, at 3:17 PM, 3-dB Networks wrote:

> Matt,
>
> How does what you say in the first paragraph make Aperto not viable?

I don't think anything from my first paragraph makes Aperto not
viable. I am not sure I even like the term viable. I wouldn't suggest
Aperto or recommend them as a WiMAX vendor. Of course, I don't have
any direct experience with Aperto's current product line. Therefore, I
can't compare and contrast their offerings to other WiMAX vendors that
I do have experience with. Anecdotical evidence suggests that Aperto
is not widely deployed. According to Aperto's press releases I only
see one company mentioned that has deployed their WiMAX gear in the
US. I don't know much about Zing to which the press release mentions.
What I do know is that according to ULS they have only been approved
to deploy a single Aperto radio. Further, at WiMAX World last year it
seemed that Zing's CTO was employed by Aperto in sales. Compare this
to Redline and Alvarion, which have lots of approved radios in ULS and
multiple US customers including some large customers.

-Matt