I would argue slightly different....

1) There are some that think the technology is really cool, because they
read the spec sheet, but also think it is over priced, so therefore never
deploy it, and never really know.  EVerything you read about WiMax is
exciting from a tech perspective.

2) Then there are the other people who pay more for a product than some
think it is worth, and deploy it, and learn first hand the negative things
about the product, and what features are overspec'd, but would never
disclose their findings publically, as it would only bring attention to the
fact that their product offering is not as good as their own marketing says
it is.

My point being, its hard to get a straight answer from someone that  1)
hasn't used it, or 2) someone that currently standardized on using it.
Either way, the opinion is biased, and has vested interests to protect. What
you really need to find is someone that tried it long enough, but then
decided not to keep using it.  They will probably have the real deal scope
on things. If you can't find that person, maybe WiMax is good as they say it
is :-)

In our case, we did 5.8Ghz Pre-WiMax gear trials 4 years ago, and it was a
failure here in the DC market.  Trango (non-WiMax) proved to be a much
better solution for that market, from our perspective.  I really would have
liked to see how much better official current generation WiMax worked or
improved.  Unfortuneately I'm in a no 3650 zone. :-(

I don't think there is any confusion on whether WiMax is the best of class
out there. Its strictly an ROI/affordabilty question, in which some are
willing to pay for the benefits.

Respectfully,

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc