There will be as many opinions as there are vendors, but I contend that
802.16d is the better WiMAX standard for 3.65 GHz. There will be no
mobile in 3.65 GHz; the power limits available for mobile under the
rules simply are not workable at all. Going to .16e route does allow you
access to 4x MIMO, but that is too expensive for 3.65 since it intended
and priced for mobile -- $60k or more in CAPEX for one cell is way too
much for the WISP world. Consider that with 802.16d, you can buy a
complete 3 sector, almost 60 mbps cell with all pieces and parts for
under $20k (at least from us). You can use some 2x MIMO and that will
improve your range somewhat over no MIMO, but at what cost? Single order
diversity will still get you many miles radius of coverage per cell and
you'll save at least 1/2 the cost vs. the same capacity in 2X and much
less still compared to 4X.

802.16d also provides for lower latency (since it is not designed to
keep track of mobile clients it has less overhead) and larger channel
sizes.

In the end, both standards are legit; they are simply intended to do
different things. The old rule of buying the right tool for the job is
the classic saying that comes to mind.

Patrick Leary
Aperto Networks
813.426.4230 mobile