We've looked at several different vendors for WiMAX and have been running
Alvarion in 2.5GHz for almost 18 months now. Aperto seems to have a decent
RF platform, as does Redline and Alvarion. We had two main issues with
Aperto: ugly Tranzeo CPE and their EMS. Maybe some things have changed by
the EMS was required to configure each base station and MS as it entered the
network, however ran only on windows and didn't run as a service. So one
clown closing the window and your network was dead in the water. Redline
appears to have a solid product as well as does Alvarion.

As was stated earlier the biggest reason to look at WiMAX is for
differentiated services. If voice or a high quality data play is in your
business plan it makes sense. If you are suffering from interference issues,
and spectrum is becoming much more polluted everywhere, so 3650 does help in
that regard.

With access to 2.5GHz spectrum for us WiMAX was an option we considered
purely for the penetration. The bulk of our subscriber base was only
accessible using 900MHz access points, and we quickly outgrew the capacity
of the Canopy APs we have been using and also are suffering increasingly
from interference from a number of sources: RFID, baby monitors, a couple
lingering paging companies, GPS correction for farming, saturation due to
excessive numbers of Access POints to try to meet bandwidth demands, etc. We
also didn't feel that we would be able to offer services other than basic
broadband access across the Canopy platform. The 16e standard is valuable
for us due to the penetration provided by MIMO and beamforming that are
available within the standard. We could care less about the mobility (and
added overhead) but its hard to get one without the other.

If you've got clean spectrum and are only looking to deploy basic data
access WiMAX probably doesn't make sense. If you have access to licensed
spectrum, want to deploy differentiated services, or are looking at 3650
WiMAX may make sense. 16d will have less overhead and less cost: the
complexities of the mobile platform are not there, nor do you need
additional network components like an ASN-GW, and typically provisioning is
greatly simplified. The problem you run into on the 16e side is that every
vendor is only thinking about Clearwire and not considering the WISP and the
price point a WISP is able to justify.

Ben Wiechman
Wisper High Speed Internet