From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org]on
Behalf Of Rick Harnish
Sent: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 7:23 PM
To: ccoo...@intelliwave.com; 'WISPA General List'
Subject: Re: [WISPA] NTIA mapping

Chris,

It is my understanding that this bill was specifically written for Connected
Nation.  In a conversation today in Indianapolis I was told that if you
divide $350 million by 50 states you get $7,000,000 per state.  This is
approximately 80% of the $9,000,000 contract they recently signed with Ohio
or Tennessee.  The 80% number coincidentally matches up with the current
thinking on the Broadband Stimulus Grants with 20% coming from the awardees
and 80% coming from the Federal Government.  If this assumption is correct,
it didn't take Connected Nation long to come up with a number to present to
the legislators that sponsored the bill.

I'm not saying that this funding won't be allocated to other grantees but I
have been told that it will be extremely difficult to buck this legislation
given the current political clout that Connected Nation seems to have.  That
is not to say that the states themselves will get control of the funding and
will make those decisions separately.

Respectfully,
Rick Harnish