> we did let
> them know it was a qwest issue, and even went as far as giving the
> customer
> the qwest trouble ticket number if the wanted it. We also updated the
> customers each time if we got any ETA information

You left that out the first time :-)

OK.  I agree, its NOT technically your faught. But we can agree, it is your
faught in the customer's mind.
And we can agree that it sucks to be responsible for other people's
failures.
But such is life. Maybe the answer is to do our best to change customer
perception?
Maybe it is to just accept that its not worth (or cost justified) striving
to keep every customer, when you are in an environment where the challenges
makes it so.

But it doesn't mean the customer is clueless. It really means that the
customer doesn't apreciate what they have.

That is one of the things we realized recently. We now do a better job
reinforcing the value of what we deliver.
We don't give in to customer's inflated expectations when we pitch our
service, unless appropriate to.
For example, in the rural residential areas we serve, early in the sales
process we might say straight up.....
"Its not easy getting broadband to the country, its going to be more
expensive, and its not going to be as fast". Or.... "we are booked for 3-4
weeks, maybe we'll be able to work you in, but I'm not going to promise it",
or.... "No its not ideal for your NetFlix video downloads, and no its not
going to be as good as your FIOS circuit that you used to have at your old
house, but I will guarantee one thing, that our service is the most reliable
service of all the options that are currently available to your home
location. ".  Or... "You asked, do we have outages? Of course we do, just
like everyone. We are extending Cogent's network, thats what we are selling
you at your location, we can only offer you uptime as good as the upstream
provider, and from our experience Cogent is reliable provider. What I can
tell you is that our last mile network is as good as it gets, and has 4:1
FEWER outages than our fiber carriers.  If Cogent is not good enough for
you, we can agreegate you to a different Upstream provider. The price will
be...XXXX.  What, You said you don't approve paying 3X more for that
provider, and are fine with Cogent and saving tons of money, and understand
our SLA..... OK, good, let move forward". The expectations are set, before
the circuit is ever installed.

(Obviously those aren't my comments, in areas where we can deliver five 9
reliabilty, have fiber like speed, and redundnacy.)

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband