Well, for one I'm not a cell phone geek.  Geek in everything else but not
the cell.  I prefer a cell phone that makes a phone call and receive a phone
call and that's about it.  It's small, sits in my pocket and if I trash the
thing somehow, no love lost.  (I still use our Motorola Spirit radios for
communication to persons down on the ground while on a tower, I know I'll
always have a signal with those) I also have this huge issue with having to
pay extra to a cell provider to use a feature that has absolutely nothing to
do with them.  The GPS in the phone is in the phone and if I pay them
whatever the going rate is plus this fee and that fee, they will be ever so
nice to unlock a feature that was manufactured into my phone that I own
outright but they have been blocking with a software edit.  I also come from
the world of non-integrated components, as in "stereo geek" from the 70's.
I'm on the flip side and could never understand why someone would want
everything rolled up in one package.  One part goes bad, you throw out all
the good parts with the bad.   That's probably why I'm a roll your own kinda
wireless provider as well and when I buy this GPS, I'll maybe have it for 10
years at least, the cell phone 2 possibly 3 years on the outside.  Plus,
when the cell phone has problems and I have to send it in, replace it or
whatever I'm only out a cell phone, not the other things that are
integrated.

It's just a different sort of mindset of what we're comfortable with.