On Aug 21, 2009, at 8:45 AM, Scott Reed wrote:

> Because 1/2 the cell phones on the planet don't have GPS

I think his point was, get one that does. After all, the guy is
thinking of spending to get a dedicated GPS. A new cell phone (if it
didn't have GPS) instead isn't a big stretch I should think.

> Because not everyone carries a cell phone.

If you're going to carry a GPS I'd think you might carry a cell phone.

> Because sometimes it may be necessary to have the cell phone to talk
> on
> while looking at the GPS.

That's pretty easy to do on an iPhone, and I have to imagine on the
Pre as well since it's multitasking. Don't know much about the 'berry
though.

Chuck

> Curtis Maurand wrote:
>> Good God, half the cell phones on the planet have GPS built into
>> them.
>> I used a Motorola Razr as a GPS on my last trip to Virginia a
>> couple of
>> years ago.  iPhones and Blackberry's and Palm Pre's have them and the
>> ability to link them to Google Maps.  Job's done.
>>
>> Why carry a separate GPS?  I don't get it.
>>
>> --Curtis
>>
>> Robert West wrote:
>>
>>> I'm finally getting rid of my Delorme Earthmate GPS unit.  It has
>>> served me
>>> well these past 10 years.................  I will certainly miss
>>> having to
>>> boot up my laptop, plug the thing into the serial port of my OLD
>>> laptop
>>> because the newer ones do not have the serial port and to use that
>>> USB to
>>> serial adapter is more fun that I could handle....  Then hope and
>>> pray that
>>> the batteries in the Earthmate are still good for I always forget
>>> to check
>>> before I go out............  But with that said, I need a
>>> replacement.
>>>
>>> I've been looking at some small Garmin all weather units but they
>>> seem to
>>> stress geo-caching and hiking.  If I had time for that, it may get
>>> my
>>> attention, but I own a small business that I started because I
>>> needed to be
>>> more flexible with my time.  Working 80 hours+ a week is about as
>>> flexible
>>> as it gets so no, I do not have time for that sort of crazy, high
>>> on life
>>> sort of living.
>>>
>>> I simply need a GPS that I won't break (or be too badly damaged)
>>> when I drop
>>> it off a 70 foot AP (it will happen, trust me), that will not be
>>> ruined when
>>> I forget it on the top of the same AP and go home and it just
>>> happens to
>>> rain overnight, can be recharged in the van and will give me the
>>> two pieces
>>> of information I really desire.........  My location coordinates
>>> and how
>>> high I am.  Someone else can mess with all those other functions,
>>> I'd have
>>> to give it to my 4 year old to figure that stuff out anyhow, I
>>> just need to
>>> know where and how high.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a good recommendation on a handheld GPS unit?  (I
>>> guess I could
>>> have just said one line but it's not as fun)

> [...]

Chuck Bartosch
Clarity Connect, Inc.
200 Pleasant Grove Road
Ithaca, NY 14850