> Isn't XO a Level3 reseller?

I dont know, they could be in some markets.

But what I can tell you is that XO does own their own national fiber
backbone that covers some US markets.

But that brings up a new topic about why some can be more cost competitive
in certain areas.
It really boils down to what assets they have strong in that market. I like
to use a specific real world example of mine.
I'll leave out the exact locations, to respect vendor.

The path is from point A (NOC)  to Point B (Neutral Carrier Hotel.)
Above.net owns the fiber to the PointA building. Cogent buy's Above.net's
dark fiber to deliver our transit service. Prices below are per month.

Above.net DarkFiber- $8k per month
Above.net Gig-E transport from PointA to PointB- $2k
Above.net 200mbps Transit at PointB -$2k
Above.net 200mbps Transit delivered to PointA - $4k
Cogent Gig-E transit at PointA- $4k
Cogent 200mbps transit at PointA- $1600
Cogent Gig-E transport from Point A to Point B- $6k
Cogent 100mbps PTP PointA to B- $1k
XO transit 100mbps PointA - $3000k (because they have to pay more for
transport to that site)

Those above prices make absolutely no sense. Why is it? The most expensive
service offers the less (dark fiber). Itsclear why, when abovenet sees
Cogent's selling retail lower than the dark fiber owner, and a desire to
prevent that situation from replicating to more competitors. Cogent's fiber
costs are very minimal.  The biggest cost to both the Tier1 carriers is
peering cross connects. They are $300 per Cross connect. EVEN if the peer
only passes 10mbps of traffic on average. Cogent does way higher volume in
the region, therefore divides that cost of all peering connection by those
higher number of connections, and develops a lower cost for peering per
subscriber.  Therefore Cogent can afford more peers at the site.  As they
get more peers, their transit cost go down.
But Cogent's volume gets large enough that their transit becomes cheap
enough, that they can charge me less for it, than selling me the transport
without the transit. Its worth it to them, to own my Transit, even if not
being compensated for it, because it discourages customers from peering with
others.

My point here is, the priciing in this example has nothing to do with
quality, it has to do with volume at a particular venue or market. Whoever
gained more momentum has the potential to offer lower price, quality of the
network design never really enters into the equation. Cogents strategy has
always been to low ball price to gain more momentum, and control more
traffic, to negotiate lower peering costs.

My second point is, these costs dont consider Colocation costs. It was
determined that Colocation and peering really does not pay off until one is
doing over 1GB of traffic, if reason for colo is to save cost by peering. So
if doing under a gig, comparing carriers is about the cost comparison at
PointA.  ISPs get locked into an upstream Tier1 because of their position to
remote facilities.

If doing over 1GB, well, then its a different game, because all carriers are
closer positioned at that Carrier Neutral hotel, and there are different
metric for differentiation.

But there are so many scenarios today, its near impossbile to predict who
will offer better bandwdith, before trying it. Even Resellers now can offer
better performance sometimes than the tier1.
When a fiber line between NewYork and DC can be had with only a added 1-2ms
of latency, its leaves room for games to reduce cost. One game is to peer at
Carrier Hotels with low cost Cross Connects, where its $100/mon, and then
Transport all the traffic back to a central source where one does it s
primary high capacity peers.  The performance degregation of the extra hop
is often unnoticeable. Again, cost comes back to how much volume can be sold
by that reseller from that venue.  IF enough Tranffic can be offloaded to
peering, only a small percentage of traffic needs to be split between a
couple upstream transit providers.

My recommendation is to always do a short term contract the first time you
try a new provider at a specific venue, then after shown thats it performs
well, upgrade to long term contract to reduce cost.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband