Travis,

Right now, we currently only have two Cogent transit connections live. One in
Maryland, and one in DC. There is a story behind why that is the case right
now, but I prefer to keep that off a PUBLIC INTERNET list.  But just because
that is the case today, does not mean that that has always been the case.

NO, I have not taken 4-5 Transit connections from the same venue from diverse
providers, and tested them side by side simultaneously in a scientific case. If
you want that, go buy a InterNAP connection at $60/mb/mon, and they'll give you
a monthly report of which of their 5-7 upstream are performing best to what
destinations.  But that experiment wouldn't  really  teach us anything. That
would only test the performance from that specific Venue location. As I said
before, different providers perform differently at different venues that they
are best individually positioned to perform from. And any test I did here,
really wouldn't help you in Idaho.

A year ago, we setup a client to host their critical application servers with
InterNAP bandwidth at Equinix Ashburn, because of the promise to Route Optimize
between 5+ tier1s.
Ironically, we are now in the process of moving them to CRGWest to colocate,
where they will use us for Bandwidth, one hop from our DC Cogent transit.  Why?
Because my client has an office in DC, and their backup servers are in their
office, and I have provided them their office bandwdith for the last 2 years.
Their customers (spread between mutliple ISPs and cities) had more consistent
performance testing to the backup/development servers accross my Cogent
connection, than they do to the servers located behind InterNAP bandwdith. He
said, WHY in the world should I continue to  pay 6 times more, and not
noticeably gain anything?

But to answer your question..... I made generalizations based on my experiences
over the years with different carriers.

Not all my experiences comes from the DC market, and not all of my circuits use
my own RapidDSL IP BLocks.  I just started routing my own IP blocks w/BGP two
years ago, and I have rather simple BGP needs, but I've been buying transit for
14 years.  Some of my circuits used only upstream's IP and not even BGP, in
some cases, for example when I bought circuits for specific events. I dont
funnel all my network to one primary transit destination.  I have three primary
NOCs, and route shortest path to the closest transit connection, and wireless
to the backup NOC where appropriate. (Note I used to have 4 Transit
connections, but I recently disconnected two)

I also rarely ever had more than two providers at one time, because I have no
need for that. I tried a backup for a while, then when it didn't work well, at
the end of the term, I tried another. In some cases, I was smart enough to buy
service for only 1 month, to first see if I really gained anything. I often did
that at a Carrier hotel, where a partner or reseller had a cage, and then if
the link didn;t work well, well I never committed to buying colocation space,
becaue the coloc space just added a few $1000 for no gain.

But in the last 7 years (at different times) we have had 100 mbps connections
from Yipes, Cogent, Level3, Global Crossing, Hurricaine, InterNap, Abovenet,
and XO, and several Blended reseller carriers.
They were NOT always from the same locations, because we dont currently
colocate in carrier hotels, although that is about to change.

I've gained more experience this year than others, because we had taken on a
lot of temporary broadband jobs in remote cities. For example, we did LA last
year for the Oscars, we did New York a few weeks ago, We partnered with another
ISP in Chicago a few months ago. When we do these jobs, we use a local transit
provider in that city. Sometimes we buy a circuit of our own, sometimes we find
a local ISP and buy transit from their already live network. But it gives us
teh opportunity to do some tests from that location for a couple of days, to
see how it performed.

We also have done short studies by askign other local ISPs if we could do some
tests from their NOCs, and compare results.  Often we might pick thirty well
known sites to test latency or max capacity transfers to.

But it does not require having a connection ourselves to test a provider's
connection. Looking Glasses help. For example, we like to Use Quest's looking
glass, and then test to various Internet sites. And then we can compare the
results from our Cogent link to those same sites. We can then see at what
providers the latency rises along paths. But there are many mroe looking
glassses to compare. Then there are the 10 or so most common speed test sites.
We've done studies for customers where they had DS3s with other carriers, and
we offered to do free performance comparision before they'd agree to try/buy
our service. So we'd go to their site, connect to their ISP, and run tests, and
give them side by side comparisons to sites they said they accessed most. The
challenge with testing is that testing latency is not the only meaning ful
data. Whats also relevent to test is the packetloss and throughput end to end
to key places.  To do that it requires an uninhibited qualified envi
 ronment to transfer files or run things like Iperf from.  Sometimes we do this
by taking advantage of other locations that our large customers might have, and
we'll remote desktop in, and test away with Jperf.

I cant tell you who has the best uptime, Because Cogent is the only one that we
have non-stop for many years. But measuring performance is a quick process.
Can I measure average performance over a period of time and report it, NO.  But
my customers can. They switch to us, and they either experience better or worse
performance in general perception, and I always ask, and they tell me what they
really think. And sometimes our customers switch from us, and then switch back
because they missed out high performance.

Lastly, if I said Cogent outperforms all other providers, I didn't mean that.
What I did mean is that, based on teh providers we tried, Cogent had felt to
perform better on average than the other carriers we tried in those
envirnments, based on tests we ran at that time.

It should also be considered the reason this thread got my attention. I did not
start out saying Cogent was the Best. I said Cogent was not second rate. All
that really matters is the choices where I hadCogent, I compared to my other
choice at that site, and Cogent won for that location.  I dont have to prove
Cogent is BEst in the World to everyone to prove my original point that Cogent
is a high quality provider in many cases. And that I have not been exposed to a
compelling reason to justify switching, based on performance.

One more lastly, I'd argue that the changes in the Internet eco system changes
who has better performance. For example, US bandwidth providers have excellent
price/performance because they have signifcant influence in the market. This is
because they control a large part of the world's hosting (specifically areas
like LA and Ashburn). As different colo centers gain more market share it can
change what ISPs have better performance. It really doesn't matter how good a
network someone has, if  the traffic is forced to take a specific route, that
route determined performance. Global Routing is very complicated, and to say
one provider has it mastered well beyond others would be rediculous.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband