First, you should have a better signal than -70 at <5Miles away with a
24dB/NS2 antenna and a B2HP/9dB omni.  I get 65 or better with a 19dB
panel.

Don't forget, 10MHz channel is 1/2 available bandwidth and 5MHz is 1/4
available bandwidth.  Really, you will get about 7-10MBit aggregate
(depending on how many customers) on a 5MHz channel connected at 54MBit,
which requires signals at -74dBm with a good fade margin (10dB).  Also,
the TX power is significantly less for 54MBps (23dBm) vs 24MBps(28dBm),
less than half.  Likely, you are connecting at 48MBps or 36Mbps, which
at that rate your total available "real case" bandwidth is as little as
4MBps, while at 20MHz you are at 15+.

A narrower channel should not affect your transmission, likely will make
signals better, roughly double (+3dBm) from 20-10, and double from
10-5(total +6dBm).

Regards,
Chuck Hogg
Shelby Broadband