>We have successfuly used ubiquiti nano and power stations as injection
>radios for numerous tripod and cisco mesh systems. No problems.  Of
>course I have used canopy for it too- no real difference in the end
>performance.

But there's a huge difference between "using a few here and there" and "relying
on things as a platform for wide-scale operations"

Let's go back to the original thread -- we were talking about how Ubiquiti was
"changing the game" with their new $75 AP that does 150 Mb or something (as
compared to the Alvarion/Motorolas/WiMAX guys of the world who still don't "get
it" with their $3/5/10k APs) -- up until now, it's been my experience that this
is an "apples to oranges" debate (heck, couldn't I make the same argument that
belkin or dlink has had a super-N mimo AP for $69 at Best Buy for some time
now?)

The last guy I know who tried this (actually a WISP with ~5k customers who
might be reading this thread =) decided to go "all-out" with Mikrotik -- sure,
the APs cost $200 or something, but he found that contention limited him to
20-30 customers / AP, while an "slower and 5x more expensive" Canopy system
allowed him to put 100+ customer / AP -- in his case, one of the things that
factored into the decision was tower rent

Now, this was probably a year ago and things may have changed...

I am not saying that ubiquity / mikrotik aren't good solutions -- we see nice
applications for such units to "fill in gaps" or "extend the network" where
terrain is challenging and there are "pockets" of small density (e.g., a
neighborhood cul-de-sac or something similar with 3 or 4 additional people) --
and I'd probably wager that almost every WISP - Canopy/Alvarion/WiMAX/etc has
deployed a few nanos/locos/etc in such a manner fashion, but that's a far
different cry than using it as a primary platform of choice for delivering
service to thousands of subscribers

That being said, if someone has built such a system, please pipe up and share
your experiences -- I'm always interested in learning how to do things
better/faster/cheaper...

-Charles