From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Mike
Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2010 9:52 AM
To: 'WISPA General List'
Subject: [WISPA] Pan flutes on the tower

A while back, the amateur community talked me into putting a ham antenna on
my highest tower.  It is a dual band 2 meter 70 cm DC grounded unit (as per
my specs).  I built a mount which offsets the stick a couple feet from the
tower.  A piece of 1 inch PVC through which I passed a piece of poly rope is
attached with stainless hose clamps near the top of the stick to lasso the
17 foot stick to keep it from swaying.

A couple times this winter when I was outside, I heard this eerie melodic 4
part tone.  It sounded like someone blowing across Pan flutes.  Now that
spring has sprung, every time the wind blows, there is this tune again.
While I questioned my sanity this winter, I do think it is coming from the
amateur antenna.

Although the sound is somewhat melodic and not objectionable, I fear this
summer with windows open in the house, it will keep me up at night.  I have
this fear it will be like when I first put that tower up and put a 10 foot
by 20 foot flag at the top to raise awareness in the community.  It snapped
so loud it would wake you from a sound sleep.  One of my best nights was
when that flag finally came down.

Since everything was done per my requests, and I want to maintain my stead
with the amateur community, how does one keep that stick from making those
noises?  I am hoping someone here has encountered something similar and has
a resolve.

Regards,

Mike

----