I just loaded community edition 6 - and its rock solid w/ bgp

One thing to note - is their release schedule.

In short - 6 months - every 6 months they release a community edition
- AND it is always what was available to the paid folks

So - ... 6 months max wait for the "newest" software to become
community version

That issue was in 2007  - keep in mind - there was a work around for
it where you could peer with a BGP speaker with a 4-byte ASN using the
23456 (old AS_TRANS from the RFC 4893 i think)

in 2010 - vyatta has done considerably more... even IPV6 support