Hello Mark,

It is fairly easy to come up with a Perl script that outputs all of the
customer radios into a text file that you can then parse and put into
Nagios.   We do that with Xymon for all of our customer devices, and it
works very well.    You can also come up with a pgsql request coming
from your Nagios box that just extracts the wanted information out of
the Freeside database and reloads Nagios.

For inventory tracking, we have a separate item number for each radio
type.   Fairly easy to generate a report showing how many of each type
of radio we have in the system, and we use the MAC address of the radio
as the serial number.   I do not use Freeside to keep track of inventory
that is outside of the billing system, we have a separate program for
that task.

Freeside documentation is kind of lacking, and it takes some time to get
figured out.   Unfortunately, when you get to a certain size billing
gets quite complicated and just about anything you use is going to be
complex.

I've been using Freeside for 8 years now.    It is hands down better
than all of the other billing systems that I have had direct experience
with (Rodopi, Billmax, Emerald, Powercode) but I cannot give any
recommendation one way or the other toward Platypus or Wispmon.  Being
able to modify it and adjust it to fit our needs is very important to
me, and probably one of the biggest issues I have had with other billing
systems.

Once we got over the initial hump, it has been excellent for us.

Matt Larsen
mlar...@vistabeam.com