From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Fred Goldstein
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2010 11:51 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Taking the plunge

At 9/13/2010 10:43 PM, Robert West wrote:

>Yo, dude!  Sectors acting as backhaul?   Now I LIKE that idea!
>
>I shall steal it from you and make it my own.
>
>Nuff said.

Why not?  I'm working on a design now that has 15-20 access points fed from
a sector antenna on a tower.  (I couldn't put that many separate links up if
I tried, not between 5.725 and 5.85.)  They'll need TDMA (Airmax or an
Nstreme) to keep things sorted out, of course.  There's a string of nodes
that can barely see each other for the trees, but can all see one tower over
water... since water paths tend to be flakey, I'm thinking of putting two
antennas on the tower, one above the other, hoping that the vertical spacing
may have the two sectors (overlapping coverage, different 5.8 channels)
flake out at different times.

The real question is whether or not I can make a case that the "Sky Pilot
Rule" applies, and thus the whole sector counts as PtP for regulatory power
limit purposes.  With TDMA it's only transmitting to one at a time, after
all...

  --
  Fred Goldstein    k1io   fgoldstein "at" ionary.com
  ionary Consulting              http://www.ionary.com/

----