I have 12 towers surrounding Yakima with my head-end in Moxee.

On 9/26/2010 10:28 AM, MDK wrote:
It appears that you have, even if VHF-Lo turns out to be not workable, several UHF channels. Of course, if you have real estate on the hills to the north, east, and south, you're not too bad off, either. ( wife's mother lives in Yakima, son's going to be going to YVCC sometime soon, I think, I know the place somewhat.) I ran the center of town type of scenario, putting the spot somewhere a little west of the railroad tracks and just south of the downtown corridor. I suspect it may change if you move out toward Moxee or through the gap out toward Wapato, or up north toward Naches. The spectrumbridge tool works pretty decently, but it lacks explanation of some of the features.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Neofast, Inc, Making internet easy
541-969-8200  509-386-4589
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*From:* Forbes Mercy <mailto:forbes.me...@wabroadband.com>
*Sent:* Saturday, September 25, 2010 8:29 PM
*To:* WISPA General List <mailto:wireless@wispa.org>
*Subject:* Re: [WISPA] Today is a Momentous Day for our Industry - Sept. 23rd, 2010

Well since I'm Yakima you now have my attention!

Forbes Mercy
President - Washington Broadband, Inc.

On 9/25/2010 5:00 PM, MDK wrote:
Your sarcasm would be, well, effective, if I weren't correct about there being no way to use it. No other WISP is going to be able to do what I can't do, either, Jack. In my town, there is ONE UHF channel. 6 mhz. That's it. In the mountains, where we need it due to forest, it can't be done. Get yourself a copy of Radio Mobile and check your HAAT, RM uses the FCC's requirement as its defaults. There's ONE VHF-HI channel. Two VHF-LO channels. And, as mentioned, the VHF low is so susceptible to noise I doubt anyone will even try to make anything work there. One flourescent light on and your internet goes dead... So, while this is fantastic in theory, in reality, this spectrum will not be useable to signficant level, by many WISP's. If you use the tools you have and start inspecting your sites, you'll find that there's a lot more use of TV space than you knew. And, some places are amazingly open. However, some of the rural guys will find lots of space. I hope, anyway.
Gresham, OR,  - 2 channels
Portland, OR,  - 2 channels
Spokane, WA, 12 channels - but a good chunk won't work due to HAAT limitations.
Libby, MT, 37 channels
Moro, or, 36 channels ( population, 400?)
Tacoma, WA, 12 channels
yakima, WA , 14
Lawrence, KS.  12
The majority of examples above include at least half the channels in VHF. As I noted before, there ARE obstacles to overcome in using VHF, especially VHF-lo. Even VHF-hi could prove to be seriously susceptible to interference. Also, the VHF and and sometimes even UHF frequencies are subject to interference by "skip", which will cause cyclical interference issues, by broadcasters far, far away. We'll find out when either makers trials leak results, or when people start trying. These are some of the technical issues that will become part of our vocabulary as we try to move into this. Has anyone here seen any trials done in the VHF frequencies? I did some propagation examples in my town, using RM and UHF, and it appears we're going to be limited to around 1.5 miles max distance, unless you can get your antenna near max height, both AP and client due the fact the fresnel zone is HUGE! I didn't dry the VHF bands, as I couldn't find quickly find any antenna specs published for the frequencies.