> Is RIP solid?  It's been around for decades, and I used it extensively in
> the beginning years when I was doing everything.  But it seems that we have
> many problems lately and RIP is being blamed for it.  It's a very easy
> protocol to administer & configure, not too complicated, so I can't imagine
> so many problems when things are properly configured.

It depends on how much testing Mikrotik is doing on RIP. I've had
bizarre problems with RIP on newer Cisco IOS releases, and it seems is
not testing RIP anymore... it's up to the poor soul still using RIP on
Cisco gear to catch these bugs.

You told us you replaced RIP for BGP; that's a good fast call, because
BGP is similar to RIP in many more ways than a link-state protocol
like OSPF. But in the long run, you should consider whether the link
is stable or not and move either to a link-sate protocol (Only OSPF is
available in Mikrotik these days, may be they implement IS-IS in the
future), or to a more unstable-suited protocol like MME.

At least for the topology part, i.e., how to get to that router. As
for the routes themselves, IBGP with a route-reflector running on top
of (OSPF + MME + RIP) is the way to scale the network up.

Rubens