On 12/20/2010 04:56 PM, Jeromie Reeves wrote:
> While I do agree with the idea that we need less regulation of (fixed)
> wireless and a lower barrier to entry for cellular wireless, I would
> like to knwo what parts of this particular proposal you have a issue
> with. I, personally, would love to see the layer 1 and layer 2+ be
> forcably broken apart for wired isps (IE, if you are a ILEC, you must
> have a separate business entity run the 2+, with set prices for
> everyone who wants to be a layer 2+ entity on that layer 1 network)
> with wireless getting a mix of this (unlicensed is not bound to layer
> 1/2+ split, with some licensed being (like cellular) and some licensed
> not being bound (like 3.65, sub 700) and opening more spectrum (that
> is a mix of bound and non-bound) and see where that takes us. Time to
> wake up and go pickup the kids.

Um.....

so you want the big guys to have to play by certain rules (be dumb
pipes) but you wouldn't have to play by those rules as a small player?

Why shouldn't that regulation be applied to wisps as well? Why shouldn't
you have to share spectrum?

Let's realize we are all in this together and come up with workable
solutions. Let's be partners with the ISPs and not make it us vs them.

I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to make packet movement
(in particular backhaul) somewhat more fair. I already discussed peering
on the list in recent days.

Have folks been following the NBN rollout in Australlia? It leaves a
certain amount of rough edges on the implementation specifics (see the
AUSNOG mailing list archives for several very detailed discussions).
However it's a national l2 network. Pretty cool stuff.

See I'm a layer3 and above guy, and have targeted very specific areas
for my wireless deployment (currently in 4 locations in the greater
la/oc area). I'm deploying an advertising network and giving internet
access away. I'm going into areas that don't have a lot of existing
wifi, running heavily localized advertising driven hotspots. So I don't
have spectrum issues.

However I face the same problems as many wisps at layer3 and above
(namely getting bandwidth at a good price where I need it).

So what would folks like to see? Would you like to see a layer1/2
"natural monopolie" run as a municipal utility, that would run an open
access/co-op fiber network?

How many here participated in the broadband forum meetings that were
held prior to the Obama election? How many people here reached out to
those folks and requested exactly this? I know I did (I went to the Los
Angeles meeting).

Don't get mad, get even!!!

Hmmm... the above was a bit rambling... looks like rough pieces of a
mind map for a blog post. :)

Things to think about anyway.