On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM, Charles N Wyble
<char...@knownelement.com> wrote:

> On 12/20/2010 04:56 PM, Jeromie Reeves wrote:
>> While I do agree with the idea that we need less regulation of (fixed)
>> wireless and a lower barrier to entry for cellular wireless, I would
>> like to knwo what parts of this particular proposal you have a issue
>> with. I, personally, would love to see the layer 1 and layer 2+ be
>> forcably broken apart for wired isps (IE, if you are a ILEC, you must
>> have a separate business entity run the 2+, with set prices for
>> everyone who wants to be a layer 2+ entity on that layer 1 network)
>> with wireless getting a mix of this (unlicensed is not bound to layer
>> 1/2+ split, with some licensed being (like cellular) and some licensed
>> not being bound (like 3.65, sub 700) and opening more spectrum (that
>> is a mix of bound and non-bound) and see where that takes us. Time to
>> wake up and go pickup the kids.
>

> Um.....
>
> so you want the big guys to have to play by certain rules (be dumb
> pipes) but you wouldn't have to play by those rules as a small player?
>
> Why shouldn't that regulation be applied to wisps as well? Why shouldn't
> you have to share spectrum?
>
> Let's realize we are all in this together and come up with workable
> solutions. Let's be partners with the ISPs and not make it us vs them.

You did not read my post well at all. I DID say wireless should play
by the same rules, just not ALL wireless.
900,2.4,5.x and such unlicensed bands <could never hold up to the SLA
needed for such rules>. I said NEW
bands should be found and licensed <to the same sharing rules>. The
rules also should be a little different
for wireless, since it is a more over subscribed pipe then
cable/dsl/fiber. Still, a NEW band WITH the sharing
rules I would be all for. It needs to be LICENSED as such.

> I have been doing a lot of thinking about how to make packet movement
> (in particular backhaul) somewhat more fair. I already discussed peering
> on the list in recent days.
>
> Have folks been following the NBN rollout in Australlia? It leaves a
> certain amount of rough edges on the implementation specifics (see the
> AUSNOG mailing list archives for several very detailed discussions).
> However it's a national l2 network. Pretty cool stuff.
>
> See I'm a layer3 and above guy, and have targeted very specific areas
> for my wireless deployment (currently in 4 locations in the greater
> la/oc area). I'm deploying an advertising network and giving internet
> access away. I'm going into areas that don't have a lot of existing
> wifi, running heavily localized advertising driven hotspots. So I don't
> have spectrum issues.

This is what I am doing also, cept I am targeting areas that both have
and do not have a lot of
existing wifi. One of the good things since everyone jumped on the
WPA/2 bandwagon is no more
open wifi! =)

> However I face the same problems as many wisps at layer3 and above
> (namely getting bandwidth at a good price where I need it).
>
> So what would folks like to see? Would you like to see a layer1/2
> "natural monopolie" run as a municipal utility, that would run an open
> access/co-op fiber network?

No. For ILECs to be ran as a layer1 corp, and everyone layer 2+ to be
ran as a separate one.
That would mean that I could do layer2+ where I wanted to on tax payer
funded lines, and my
other corp could do layer1, with or with out tax payer monies. Corp1
has to lease from Corp2 and
Corp2 has to lease to <everyone> under the same schedule. No
sweetheart deals for my self
cause I am both Corp 1 and Corp 2. Take Qw's $15 DSL. It costs ME
$40/mo for that same loop
with NO IP on it. It was paid for by tax payers, it should be
available. And do you think Qw will
let ME into the local CO or the RT's to offer better services?