It is more than just usage. Bandwidth is now less than 12% of my monthly operating expense. There is customer service, support infrastructure, tower leases, office lease, billing expense, taxes, regulatory expense, insurance.

Even if they are under average on usage, don't call tech support and pay their bill on time, it is still costing you money in potential lost revenue. If you acknowledge and allow this they will tell people and the practice will spread.

The only way I would ever allow this would be if the customer paid by the bit, not tiered service, but literally by the bit otherwise they are taking money out of your pocket.