At 11/22/2011 11:22 AM, Tom DeReggi wrote:
> > The FCC just had to have a date, and was nice enough to not close it
> > too early.  This also gives WISPs time to do some more construction
> > and have it included.
> >

>Thats one way to look at it.  (And probably the more productive way,
>recognizing the timeline to protect opportunity.)
>
> > The whole-state rule applies to the big ILECs.  If they say no, the
> > rules for the auction aren't written yet, and may work on a smaller
> > basis.  I think that's one of the things to discuss in the FNPRM
> > Comments, which are due 24 January.
>
>But why would big ILEC's say, "no" ?
>Isn't this process pressuring the ILECs to say "yes". Giving the ILECs a
>second chance to get another free ride, now for broadband?
>If ILEC took subsidee for Voice in past, why would they not do the same for
>Data?

The big ILECs we're talking about (Price Cap Carriers) do not take a
lot of subsidies.  ATT gets a decent bunch for Mississippi, and a few
dribs and drabs come in elsewhere, but they're net payers, not
takers.  The smaller Price Cap Carriers (Frontier, Windstream, etc.)
take relatively more.  So it's likely that the biggest ILECs (ATT,
VZ) will look at each state and decide on a course of action.  They
could take the $775/line for any number of lines in Phase 1, and
decide which states warrant statewide Phase 2 election.  But it will
probably be on a very careful financial analysis, based on how much
they think they'll get vs. how much it'll cost.  Remember, both VZ
and ATT are basically disinvesting from wireline, emphasizing their
mobile subsidiaries, so a little subsidy money might not move
them.  The smaller PCCs, I'm guessing, are more likely to sign on, as
they're basically subsidy whores to begin with.

>Small ILECs might say no, because they might not have the funding or
>resources to take on a super large project even with subsidee.
>But Big Telco surely has the finances. We can use ATT as an example, who is
>advertising to cover all of America in 5 years, anyway.
>
>Do you think there is any chance that the big telco might say "no" in some
>states, I dont want USF?

Sure, they'll turn it down to emphasize wireless instead.  More
profitable right now.  VZ has been unloading rural territory and ATT
might start to do so.  Frontier, Windstream, CLQ and the other rural
chains are buyers.

>It has happened in the past, to some extent. I can give the example of
>Verizon pulling out of a low profit analog market, and letting a smaller LEC
>take over such as either Century tel or Frontier (forget which LEC, and
>which Eastern state).. Back then it made sense with Verizon focusing on FIOS
>preferring to bypass regulation, that FIOS allowed them.
>But would that same justification still be there, when USF subsidees are
>there to compensate?

VZ has pulled out of a *lot* of states, including all of ME, NH, VT,
WV, OR, WA, HI, AL, MO, KY, AZ, NM, ID, IL, IN, OH, WI, MI, AK and I
forget if they had any others.  They've kept only three ex-GTE states
(and not all of Texas). CAF is capped.  Phase 1 is $775/line.  Phase
2 has dollar caps to be divided among recipients.  Phase 3 will be
bid, so even if they take Phase 2, there's no guarantee of future
funding in Phase 3.  That's a risk. The FCC assumption is that
up-front subsidies will leave it profitable in the long term.

> > If the location is "served" on the National
> > Broadband Map, or if the ILEC *knows* it's served by an unsubsidized
> > competitor, it's off limits
> > Again, only unserved areas will get
> > support, though an ILEC can use support to build common plant in an
> > area that is more than 50% unserved.
>
>Also, regarding those to comments in your original Email... I think the risk
>here is the same that it was with ARRA.
>Whats the definition of "unserved", and but more importantly what is the
>definition of "area", and what is the protest proof process, and is WISP's
>coverage large enough to qualify an area as served?  And will gerrymandering
>allow a recipient to get around it?  Obviously, the National MAP, that
>documents all reported coverage from all carriers will help quite a bit. But
>I'm still concerned that many WISP's coverage will be to small of a take
>rate or area, to be proportional enough to mark an area as "served".   I can
>tell you that in my rural markets, it would be near impossible to get over
>50% coverage, even if I served everyhome that I had coverage to.
>Lets use a hypothetical example of the average member WISP having 1000 subs.
>There are not many areas that have less than 2000 potential subs.  I can
>tell you from community connect grant research, looking at census data, it
>was tough finding areas that gained maximum points of under 500 households.

The Phase 1 and 2 subsidies will be based on Census Blocks.  That's
the smallest geographic area that the federal government knows about
or has maps of.  So if you can cover all of a block, you put it on
the map, and subscribers there cannot be counted towards CAF subsidies.

Now when auction time comes, AFAIK the size of each area to be
auctioned has yet to be determined..

And for Rate of Return carriers, the rules will differ, and don't
seem firm yet, so census blocks might not be the protected
level.  You might need a much bigger footprint.

>Did it say anything in the rules, to define what an eligible size "area" is?
>Both for identifying served and unserved, not just USF qualification?
>
>Wondering if NTIA/USDA is going to help identify preferred qualifying area
>on the broadband map?  I dont think it will be as simple as looking for
>blank spots.
>IS there currently a map of ILEC coverage area of Voice, that can be
>overlaid to the broadband map?

A few states do have it, but in general, ILEC coverage maps are not
publicly available in GIS format.  They are however always included
in baseline tariffs.  To be sure, the tariff maps you can find are
usually n-th generation photocopies of hand-tool-drawn maps from the
1940s or so, and illegible, but they're official.  And there are
(expensive) commercial GIS layers showing each ILEC wire center's
coverage boundary.

But this also ties in to Carrier of Last Resort obligations.  ILECs
have state COLR obligations in most states, which is covered by their
open-ended (monopoly/USF) finance model. An open question now is what
happens to COLR if they lose their USF.  Does CAF come with COLR?

>A question likely to develop for WISPs is.... What are the safest places to
>invest in expanding coverage, meaning less likely to get overbuilt with
>subsidized competition?
>The very Suburban/Urban and very Rural are becomming most likely for
>subsidee and harsh competition. Some where in the middle, such as barely
>rural, may be safer?

I'm not done with the rules yet, but offhand my guess is the safest
place is one served by a Price Cap Carrier (not a small rural telco)
that is far from their major focus (cities).  But then the question
is not really relevant for a lot of WISPs and local ISPs and
CLECs.  We serve the areas we serve because that's our
business.  It's finance capital that looks for cream areas to
skim.  Locals need to be able to operate anywhere.  And that's a
problem with some of the FCC rules, which assume that the operator is
really mobile finance capital that will operate where it's most
profitable, and to hell with potential customers in harder-to-serve
areas.  These new rules are less evil in that regard than some others
from the past decade, though -- they at least made some effort to
balance it a little.