There have been some discussions on this previously on the list.

if you Google, there was one blog listing on how to hook up a Mikrotik Ethernet port (loopback plug) into a alarm contact rely, and then monitor for port condition.. Which I thought was pretty slick...

Can't get any cheaper than that...

Faisal Imtiaz
Snappy Internet&  Telecom
7266 SW 48 Street