Call your generator manufacturer or reseller and ask about a fault/run
relay board. We ordered relay boards for our Kohler generators for only
$200 ish.
http://www.apelectric.com/GM53102-KP1-Kohler-Common-fault-relay-p/gm53102-kp1.htm

The boards relay run/faults to a APC AP9631 card that is setup to email out
or dump into SNMP or Syslog.

-Eric