What is being described is the default behavior of any standard managed
switch.  There is no "virtual circuit" being built and it still
"broadcasts" across said VLAN.  They are simply only allowing the VLAN to
go from point A to point B.  This though can be done at wire speed in the
hardware of any switch and MT.   This is not an intelligent method (the
switching system not the people talking about this), as there can only be
STP or other non-standard protocols to handle fail over.  The example is
that if you have 5 switches in-line, you are simply ONLY allowing say
vlan999 to tag ingress on port 22 on switch 1, then only flow though tagged
on the trunk ports between switches, then finally only having one egress
non-tagged port at switch 5 port 22..  Hence a sort of "circuit"..

This works great on large bandwidth wired applications, but going over
anything wireless for the most part poses an issue.  The "trunks" are still
seeing all broadcast traffic from all devices, maybe its not going as far
and yes you can control it a bit more, but in the end, a packet storm on
one VLAN will take down the wireless connection and all trunks on a
backhaul radio.  Simply because the UBNT or whatever radio you are using
can't handle 100,000 pps.  The switches, in hardware, can handle millions,
making this situation not a major issue as we have plenty of hardware to
handle those instances and with several mitigation systems built into
these switches, you can further handle said traffic.  Not saying this
method does not work, simply has its own "gotchas" just like anything else.

The limitations is really in the fail over  it don't care what kind of
packets or even if the packets are "needed" to traverse the network, hence
more traffic than needed, but its better than one large bridge.  Building
rings that have "disabled" ports can help, but still don't
"intelligently" route around issues, as routing would do.    But to the
topic, yes, MT can ingress non-vlan tagged traffic and send it out as
tagged traffic, and yes bridging is how that is done (mt is more switching
than bridging in those aspects) and it also can be done with some of there
hardware switch chips.

As for the topic at hand, never let your customer access your layer2
network, it will end up coming back to bite you.  Hence, route your CPE, if
the client wants a public, you route though the CPE as a router, if the
client is a home user and don't want/need inbound access, give them a
public on the CPE, and NAT a private. As far as their router inside, it
should be setup to be a swtich with a AP, makes it simple, else, double-nat
will not affect web/email applications

Dennis

On Fri, Oct 12, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Scott Reed <sr...@nwwnet.net> wrote:

>  MT has several devices with hardware switches on board and fully
> accessible through the GUI.  They also have a switch sort of based on ROS.
>
> On 10/11/2012 8:35 PM, Fred Goldstein wrote:
>
> At 10/11/2012 06:52 PM, SamT wrote:
>
> Not sure I under stand the no-NAT, so every device on the other side of
> the CPE has it's own public IP?
>

> There could be one NAT, at the access point.
>
> My taste, which to be sure I haven't tested at scale in a wireless network
> (but plan to), is to follow what is becoming standard wireline practice and
> do switching, not bridging, at "layer 2".  Routing would then be lumped
> into one place, making it easier to manage.
>
> The problem with small Linux-based systems (this includes both UBNT and
> MT) is that they don't tend to have switching documented or set up in the
> UI, even if it's possible.  Bridging is bad -- it was designed for orange
> hose Ethernet, and it passes broadcast traffic to everyone.  We invented
> this at DEC in the 1980s and discovered how it doesn't scale too well -- we
> had a couple of thousand DECnet and IP nodes on a bridged LAN, and the
> background broadcast traffic level was 400 kbps.  This was a lot for
> systems to handle in 1991.  I was testing ISDN bridges and "discovered" how
> you can't just bridge that type of network across a 56k connection.  (I
> discovered the traffic when I first turned up the bridge.  I ended up
> isolating it behind a router, built from an old VAX.  At DEC, we built
> everything ouf of VAXen.)
>
> Switching, though, is what Frame Relay and ATM do, and now Carrier
> Ethernet is the big thing for fiber.  It uses the VLAN tag to identify the
> virtual circuit; the MAC addresses are just passed along.  Since it's
> connection-oriented (via the tag), it can have QoS assigned.  I think it's
> theoretically possible to tag user ports, route on tags and set QoS on
> RouterOS, but it's not obvious how to do it all.  Switching doesn't pass
> broadcast traffic; it provides more isolation and privacy than plain
> routing.  Mesh routing then works at that layer, transparent to IP.  It'll
> be "interesting" to set up.
>

> On 10/11/2012 4:53 PM, Scott Reed wrote:
>
> We run MT, not UBNT, CPE, but it doesn't matter what brand it is.  We run
> them in as routers, but do not NAT.  Same benefits others mentioned for
> routing, just one fewer NAT.  Never have a problem with it this way and
> can't see any good reason to NAT there.
>
> On 10/11/2012 3:46 PM, Arthur Stephens wrote:
>
> We currently use Ubiquiti radios in bridge mode and assign a ip address to
> the customers router.
> He have heard other wisp are using the Ubiquiti radio as a router.
> Would like feed back why one would do this when it appears customers would
> be double natted when they hook up their routers?
> Or does it not matter from the customer experience?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Arthur Stephens
> [...]

*Dennis Burgess, Mikrotik Certified Trainer** Author of "Learn RouterOS-
Second Edition <http://www.wlan1.com/product_p/mikrotik%20book-2.htm>”

 Link Technologies, Inc -- Mikrotik & WISP Support
Services

 Office*: 314-735-0270 *Website*: http://www.linktechs.net – *Skype*:
linktechs
* **-- Create Wireless Coverage’s with *www.towercoverage.com* **– 900Mhz –
LTE – 3G – 3.65 – TV Whitespace
**5-Day Advanced RouterOS Workshop -- July 23rd 2012 – St. Louis, MO,
USA<http://www.wlan1.com/RouterOS_Training_p/5d-stl-training-july2012.htm>
5-Day Advanced RouterOS Workshop – Oct 8th 2012 – St. Louis, MO,
USA<http://www.wlan1.com/RouterOS_Training_p/5d-stl-training-oct2012.htm>

*