From: "Josh Luthman" <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2012 9:10:51 AM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

How would you have an untagged VLAN?

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM, Mike Hammett < wispawirel...@ics-il.net >
wrote:

The RB250GS is possibly the worst incarnation of a managed switch I have ever
seen. SNMP continually fails. The VLAN configuration is terrible. You can't
have tagged and untagged VLANs on a single interface.

With RouterOS based switching chips you gain some additional power, but you
lose per-interface information and control when you enable the switching and
you still have to use bridging to do anything beyond whatever ports happen to
be on the switch chip. Therefore, to use any of the RouterOS features, it is
bridged and only applies to the switch group as a whole.

Some of this lies with the poor choice in chipsets, while some lies in the poor
implementation.

Cisco, Dell and Extreme Networks (my current favorite) have almost unlimited
power and granular control. They don't have some of the features of RouterOS,
but teaming one of them with something running RouterOS is just as effective as
using what Mikrotik supplies.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions