From: "Josh Luthman" <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 1:58:13 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Ubiquiti Radios as routers

I have all of that now. I NAT the CPE.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

On Fri, Oct 19, 2012 at 2:49 PM, Simon Westlake < si...@powercode.com > wrote:

I pretty much say 'meh' to that. What it really means is that a smart person
can probably quickly find a way to exploit your network because everyone is
reinventing the wheel and making a lot of mistakes doing it.

I get what you're saying but I don't agree that it is a good reason for lack of
standardization. Imagine how nice it would be if you could just hook up an SM
and have the following things happen:

Customer plugs in any device and it just works (no calling you to have you help
configure PPPoE, authorize their new MAC)
Customer loops their network and it doesn't break stuff beyond the SM
Customer can't do stuff beyond the SM even though it's not running NAT (e.g.
ARP poisoning)
Rate limiting, etc, is standardized in the SM

This is a small subset what you get with a cable modem, and a cable modem is
not a (at a high level) complicated or expensive device.