On Fri, 2012-10-19 at 15:50 -0500, Mike Hammett wrote:
> What we're (well, I am anyway) saying is that the way
> the WISP industry does it...  is sub-optimal.

The way YOU are doing it may be sub-optimal.  It is not an industry wide
problem.  There are ways to accomplish what you want.

> The customer should be able to supply whatever device they want, be
> handed up to a configured maximum number of public IP addresses (specified
> per account), but the CPE has managed all account authorization.

You are missing a key component here.  It is NEVER the CPE that manages
anything.  Even in the cable world.  It is the NETWORK that manages the
CPE.

> The customer should still be permitted to pass 1500 byte packets. The
> customer shouldn't have any configuration on their behalf. You know...
> how cable does it.

Your presumptions and statements tell me you really don't understand
what happens in a DOCSIS environment.

* Butch Evans                * Professional Network Consultation   *
* http://www.butchevans.com/ * Network Engineering                 *
* http://store.wispgear.net/ * Wired or Wireless Networks          *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/ * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!    *
*          NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979                 *