No, I think he wants some piece of equipment that allows the subscriber
to plug into the ethernet port on his CPE and it is handed a public IP
address via DHCP (that he can control without knowing the MAC of the
equipment).

One way to come close would be to assign a /30 to each customer and have
the CPE in router mode handing out the other end of the /30, but this
wastes 2 public IPs for each customer which is wasteful, it will also
require each CPE to be provisioned individually to each customer and
routing to be done to each CPE.