We bought in inexpensive electric start LP gas generator ($650) and used
one of these:

http://www.packetflux.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=55

We've got a 24v charger plugged into the generator and attached to the
battery array.   We've got the controller set to auto start the generator
if the batteries dip to a set voltage, and run for a pre-set amount of time
and then shut off.   We are about $1,000 into the whole setup.  (Doesn't
include the battery charger, that was already at the site)