I was in the military, stationed in Fairbanks (30 miles south of
Fairbanks actually) for four years. There was a spell during the winter
of 1988/1989 where we went something like six weeks with the temperature
never climbing above -40F. (Fun fact: Five of the top ten lowest
temperatures ever recorded in Alaska happened in January 1989.) We lived
on-base so didn't have to deal with propane or LP gas. But I don't
recall any of my friends living off-base having a problem with it.
That's not to say it didn't happen.

A side note...
I remember one day after that spell of cold weather when a Chinook wind
blew up from the Gulf of Alaska. The temperature warmed clear up to 0F!
We were all outside in shorts and short sleeve shirts firing up the BBQ
grills. Yeah, it was cold, but it was 50F to 60F degrees warmer than
what we had gotten used to. :)

Sam