Dunno. Like I said, I've never used towercoverage.com. I was just making some assumptions based on what Josh was saying.

-Kristian

On 04/09/2014 12:37 PM, Mike Hammett wrote:
Aren't they just computing them as a PtP each time a CPE is placed?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

*From: *"Kristian Hoffmann" <kh...@fire2wire.com>
*To: *wireless@wispa.org
*Sent: *Wednesday, April 9, 2014 2:31:54 PM
*Subject: *Re: [WISPA] Who is using Towercoverage.com ?

The limitation you're seeing of having to add another site to change the rx elevation is because calculating path loss to one point is relatively easy. Calculating it for the entire coverage area takes a fair amount of computing power, to the point that even on really fast hardware, it needs to be done ahead of time and cached. So, there's no "dynamically" changing the elevation of your plot. At best, they could pre-plot and cache a series of rx elevations and let you select from those choices. But if they let you have 4 choices (say 10, 15, 25, 35ft AGL), that would quadruple the amount of data they have to store for your (and potentially everyone's) coverage maps.

Suffice it to say, the problem is non-trivial. I use Splat! instead of RadioMobile or towercoverage.com, but the algorithm and computational complexity is the same (they all use Longley Rice, last time I checked).

The only thing I've seen that comes close to what you're asking was the guy doing near-real time viewshed magic, but I haven't heard or seen anything from him since WISPAPALOOZA 2012.

-Kristian