I agree with about 50% of this.

All of the products I know of that run trill or spb or support several MEF
levels are Linux based that are driving FPGAs.

You also have stuff like this: http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/sklvarjo/y1731/

If you look at cumulus networks, their Linux based stack is driving data center
network  virtualization forward by giving you a common software platform on
abstracted hardware. None of it is MEF, but saying Linux has stagnated on the
general network front isn't accurate. It does lack a decent open source carrier
stack though, including the MEF pieces and things like MPLS. Thankfully some
vendors have stepped into that space... For a price.