I got into the PC game in 1985. At the time, (on the Intel side) everyone
either bought IBM or bought a clone although some bought from a new company
called Compaq. Almost every machine went out the door with a copy of
WordPerfect and/or Lotus 123.  These were the ONLY applications in their
respective fields. I might be mistaken but I seem to recall WordPerfect
charging a 'premium' for support, mainly because they could.

Nobody had heard of Dell, Microsoft couldn't give Word away, and few if
anyone knew they had a product called Excel.

Around 1996 I remember supporting Tango 1.5 customers who were running into
problems caused by people hitting the sites they were developing who were
using this 'new' Internet Explorer browser. Many just gave up and said that
they would not worry about the problems from this browser because there were
so few people using it. Hmmmm...

And correct me if I'm wrong but aren't many of the 'problems' associated
with current versions of Netscape typically the work of sloppy coding that
Netscape gets picky about but that IE just lets slip through?

I hate the idea of a surcharge being placed on coding for a 'different'
browser. What will be next? A surcharge for developing for users who 'Think
Different'?

Just my 2 cents,

Steve Smith

Skadt Information Solutions