Hi Steve,

Please see my replies below...
----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Multiple recipients of list witango-talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 14, 2002 10:38 AM
Subject: RE: Witango-Talk: IE browser share now 93% in 2002 (Off topic news)

> I didn't realize that BC's exchange rate was higher than Ontario's.
<@GRIN>

Sorry - I forgot you were one of us poor Canadians :-}

> There is plenty to agree with in your comments. One thing that I've really
> enjoyed about this list is that with topics like this, it has become a
forum
> to share our opinions. Unfortunately there was a period about a year ago
> when it was just plain ugly.

Well said. Likewise - I'm not trying to be ugly.

Just presenting the prespective that our potential shouldn't be limited by
'industry' view points. Otherwise, where would innovation be?

> Whenever possible I try to follow the principles of people like Jakob
> Nielsen who is one of the leading supporters of Web Usability. He does
agree
> that whenever the developer can control or knows for 100% certain that all
> users will be using a certain browser and version than development can be
> done to utililize that particular browser. So I agree with your comments
> when it comes to developing for an intranet.
>
> However let me give you an Extranet 'for instance'. You develop a site for
> client to use as an Extranet. One of their users routinely visits two
> Extranet sites, the one that you developed and another that was developed
> support both Netscape and IE. Their browser of choice happens to be
> Netscape. Why should he switch browsers simply to be able to visit one
site?
> I would think that it would develop a level of dissatisfaction in that
user
> that might reach the point where he says "forget it" and stops dealing
with
> your client's site which may lead to him or her finding another supplier.
> Your client can't understand why he/she lost a customer. I would think tha
> in most cases, if there is a surcharge up front for making sure that
> Netscape works the client is likely to say forget it.

Good point, but you can't please everyone all the time :-) If you try,
you'll loose yourself in the process.

> With regards to your characterization about IE being more forgiving.
Another
> way of looking at it could be that any surcharge to ensure other browsers
> work is just a surcharge to cover poor development skills.

Ouch! Well I guess I'm just a poor developer because I hate Netscape.

Funny though that I've got more work than 3 people can handle :-}

>Following on that
> thought of course we shouldn't be made to pay for poor work that we do, we
> should pass the buck. <@GRIN> I'm not trying to beat anyone up here, my
post
> was to point out that in the short history of the web we've heard the
> expression, "the King is dead, long live the King" enough times to know
that
> nothing has stayed on top for very long. Change is imminent, change is
also
> very good.

Yes, change is always good! And MSIE's superior support for Technologies
such as XML is changing the web-development landscape considerably.

The problem is some people are trying to change it back to the way it was.
Good luck :-]

> Hope this helps,

Thank you for your time and your thoughts Steve.

Take care. Cheers....

Scott

> Steve Smith
>
> Skadt Information Solutions
> Office: (519) 624-4388
> GTA:    (416) 606-3885
> Fax:    (519) 624-3353
> Cell:   (416) 606-3885
> Email:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Web:    http://www.skadt.com

everyone
> > either bought IBM or bought a clone although some bought from a new
> company
> > called Compaq. Almost every machine went out the door with a copy of
> > WordPerfect and/or Lotus 123.  These were the ONLY applications in their
> > respective fields. I might be mistaken but I seem to recall WordPerfect
> > charging a 'premium' for support, mainly because they could.
> >
> > Nobody had heard of Dell, Microsoft couldn't give Word away, and few if
> > anyone knew they had a product called Excel.
> >
> > Around 1996 I remember supporting Tango 1.5 customers who were running
> into
> > problems caused by people hitting the sites they were developing who
were
> > using this 'new' Internet Explorer browser. Many just gave up and said
> that
> > they would not worry about the problems from this browser because there
> were
> > so few people using it. Hmmmm...
>
> A very good point Steve and an interesting tale too :-)
>
> As a matter of fact, I've been watching the recent Gold release of Mozilla
> 1.0 with interest (and have even installed it). Although my developer
career
> revolves around building Intranet Applications designed exclusively for
MSIE
> (specifcally 5.0 or higher on Windows) - I am trying to be prepared for an
> evolving future.
>
> If someone could actually build a 'standards' compliant browser that
WORKS!