I didn't realize that BC's exchange rate was higher than Ontario's. <@GRIN>

There is plenty to agree with in your comments. One thing that I've really
enjoyed about this list is that with topics like this, it has become a forum
to share our opinions. Unfortunately there was a period about a year ago
when it was just plain ugly.

Whenever possible I try to follow the principles of people like Jakob
Nielsen who is one of the leading supporters of Web Usability. He does agree
that whenever the developer can control or knows for 100% certain that all
users will be using a certain browser and version than development can be
done to utililize that particular browser. So I agree with your comments
when it comes to developing for an intranet.

However let me give you an Extranet 'for instance'. You develop a site for a
client to use as an Extranet. One of their users routinely visits two
Extranet sites, the one that you developed and another that was developed to
support both Netscape and IE. Their browser of choice happens to be
Netscape. Why should he switch browsers simply to be able to visit one site?
I would think that it would develop a level of dissatisfaction in that user
that might reach the point where he says "forget it" and stops dealing with
your client's site which may lead to him or her finding another supplier.
Your client can't understand why he/she lost a customer. I would think that
in most cases, if there is a surcharge up front for making sure that
Netscape works the client is likely to say forget it.

With regards to your characterization about IE being more forgiving. Another
way of looking at it could be that any surcharge to ensure other browsers
work is just a surcharge to cover poor development skills. Following on that
thought of course we shouldn't be made to pay for poor work that we do, we
should pass the buck. <@GRIN> I'm not trying to beat anyone up here, my post
was to point out that in the short history of the web we've heard the
expression, "the King is dead, long live the King" enough times to know that
nothing has stayed on top for very long. Change is imminent, change is also
very good.

Hope this helps,

Steve Smith

Skadt Information Solutions