Do a search action returning the whole list, you don't need all the fields, maybe even just the id.

<@assign local$wholeList @@resultSet>

<@assign local$winningRow <@random low=1 high=<@numrows array=local$wholeList>>>

<@assign local$theWinnerIs <@var local$wholeList[@@local$winningRow,*]>>

That should do it.

Robert.

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 02:05 PM, Eric Weidl wrote:

Hi,

I'm building a random drawing system and all I'm going to do is insert a
random number in a column of an array and then sort the array and whoever is
at the top is the winner.

How are you ensuring that each random number in the array is unique?

If you aren't, then how do you decide who's the winner if 2 or more people have the same random number?

Are you sorting ascending or descending? How do you decide? It will affect who wins.

Here's a method we've successfully used in the past to identify a random winner from a set of users.

1) Do a select action to get all the eligible contestants and their information. You could sort the data or not.

2) In the results HTML for the search action, put the following code (modified for your table/column names, of course):

<@! Set the range for the random number selection > <@ASSIGN local$randomRangeLow VALUE="1"> <@ASSIGN local$randomRangeHigh VALUE="<@NUMROWS>">

<@! Pick a random winner from the range. The winnerIndex is the row number of the winner. >
<@ASSIGN local$winnerRowIndex VALUE="<@RANDOM LOW='<@VAR randomRangeLow>' HIGH='<@VAR randomRangeHigh>'>">

<@! And the winner is... >