Michael,

Here's what I know and remember from my tech support days and training days at
Everyware.

2.x to 3.x conversion did have some small issues. this is where the biggest
changes occurred. I can't remember them all now. I'm sorry, but I longer have
my 2.x editor to be able to re-create any of the issues encountered. But I
still have TeMail, the dll for being able to send RFC 821/822 format emails
from Tango Server 2.x on which the current e-mail action was based. And I also
have the documents I wrote to design and support TeMail, as well as my
proposals for the T3 email action.

3.x to 4.x (Tango 2000) is _very_ straight forward. The big change was that the
TAF files are now in XML rather than in binary format. 4.x merely added objects
(TCF Files) and new actions (presentation, Create Object, Call Method, Object
loop) abilities and source code control integration (check in/check out).

I still have a copy of an internal tool we used to use to view the internals of
3.x taf files (t3viewer.exe), and the tool we gave out to change datasources in
3.x files (t3DS.exe). But I don't have my box numbers for Tango 3.x anymore,
even though I still have a copy of the installers.

If it's still available from Witango for Tango 2000 users, the Witango 4.5
(windows) editor works much better than the Tango 2000 (4.0) editor ever did.

Witango 3 server and later cannot run 2.x qry files, they must be converted by
an editor/studio.
Tango 2000 (4.x) and 5.0 and 5.5 servers can run Tango 3.x without conversion,
but the editor will force conversion.
Tango 3.x, Tango 2000 (4.x), and Witango 4.5 editors can convert 2.x qry files.
I don't know about Witango 5.0 or 5.5 editors/studios.

Tango 2.x did not have variable scope, all variables were "User" scoped.
Because of this, in part, the default scope for Tango 3 and 4 was "User".

The default variable scope for 5.5 is "Request" (formerly "local" scope), but
that can be changed at the server level for compatibility, if needed.

So if you are running 3.x or 4.x Tafs, the move to 5.5 will currently be
seamless with one minor change to the server, namely the default variable scope
from "Request" to "User".

If you still have 2.x qrys, your upgrade may be a bit more difficult as you'll
have to convert these to TAFs first, and then test and debug the conversion
before deploying.

If you have more questions, or need more help, feel free to contact me off list.

Anthony -