I have no experience with Installshield so I cannot comment on that. And if you
have a working merge module that will`save time but i really wonder what the
benefit is if it is not findable and does not work as intended.

This snippet might help you out. Disclaimer: I'm not good at conditions so
maybe someone on the list can check and correct me. And I didn't check if
GdiPlus.dll needs to be registered. If it does you need to add that as well,
you can use tallow or heat to obtain the registry markup.

<Component Id="C_gdiplus" DiskId="1" Guid="YourGuidHere">
          <File Id="F_gdiplus" Name="GDIPLU_1.DLL" LongName="GdiPlus.dll"
Source="GdiPlus.dll" />
          <Condition>
             <![CDATA[(VersionNT=500) Or (NOT Version9X="") ]]>
          </Condition>
        </Component>

if you add the Component Id to your feature. I'm not sure if it is better to
have the condition on the feature. But there is sure someone who want to
educate me on that

Rene