I think it's a rights issue.  I had a similar problem a while ago.  What I
discovered was that even
the Administrator doesn't have the right to start a service by default.  This
right gets added
automatically when you first go into the Serivces console.  I had to write a
Custom Action to give
the user the 'start a service' right.  This was a while ago and thankfully the
requirement got
dropped, so sadly I don't have the code around anymore.  There's possibly a way
to do it from WiX.

What is strange is that after you've started the service manually, the
installer continues to fail.
  I'm not sure why that is.

Rob