The finer points of MSBuild/Team build are getting lost in these replies so
it's kind of pointless to continue.    VDPROJ and WiX v2 are proper comparisons
because both have .xxproj files that are NOT MSBuild files.  Whether or not
they `support` MSBuild is a non issue.    For example to build both you could
use an Exec to go out of process and call devenv solution /build project but
thats really ugly as it adds another dependency to the build box.

  For Matt, I'd suggest that you just start wiring it up and what I've posted
previously will quickly become obvious.   WiX v3 with it's native MSBuild
project format is just so much  more cleaner and powerful from a TFS
perspective.  It also happens to be the way InstallShield has been doing it for
years...

Bob Arnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm interested to know why V2 won't work for you as it does provide support
> for MSBuild?
>
> My understanding of Votive is that it enables WiX projects to be viewed in
> VS, still in there text\xml format. If the project is there but Votive
> isn't VS marks it as "unavailable". If that's the case MSBuild will still
> build it... or no?

Yes, it will. Votive v2's project files aren't based on MSBuild; Votive
v3's are. But both WiX v2 and v3 include MSBuild tasks and targets and
therefore both can be built from TFS Build.

The same isn't true of .vdproj files, which are still not based on MSBuild.

--
sig://boB
http://joyofsetup.com/